Monday, January 4, 2016

Over the bar mason jar lights

This is a home improvement project I have been wanting and wishing for since day one. I knew I wanted mason jars, but because of where the existing recessed lights were, I thought it would be a much harder task than it ended up being. The light on the left was right against the wall so I knew a drop down light wouldn't work without sheetrock repair and all that mess. Turns out if you just cover it up with a beam you don't have to worry!! So we did just that. 

So first off, Jake took the old recessed lights out. *Note* if you're not familiar with electrical work, please call an electrician. 


Then we got this gorgeous old barn beam from Jake's awesome uncle. It was cut to length and Jake predrilled the holes for the lights and bolts. I gave it a light sand, but I didn't want to take anything away from it. 


 
Once the beam was up, it was the lights turn. We found a few tutorials via Pinterest about making your own lights from lamp repair kits, but then we found these! They were more expensive, but made it so much easier. 


I took the mason jar lid, traced my circle, and used a drill bit to punch it out. Sorry I didn't get a better picture of that. 


And finished product!!! 


I absolutely love it!! It changes the whole feel of the house. Now onto my next project...

No comments:

Post a Comment